Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Life after Beth

Chances are that sooner or later we will leave this gilded cage. Apart from the obvious question mark that hangs over next destination, the actual thought of leaving the expat life conjures up feelings of both dread and excitement.

Don't get me wrong, I love the freedom that having household staff affords. Our live-in nanny, Beth, is bright, energetic, imaginative and, most importantly, the kids adore her. I'm free to study, workout, primp and pamper at will. Yet I still look forward to chaotic (and sometimes hungover) Sundays of dressing, feeding, wiping, cuddling and amusing our two littl'uns. I know that I would miss my helpers no sooner had I stepped off the plane and no matter what, I will never look forward to cleaning my own toilet bowl but with kids as gorgeous as these two, can you blame me for wanting them all to myself .... sometimes?

3 comments:

Shana said...

I can relate to your mixed feelings! Sundays are exhausting but "in a good way." Reminds you what it's like to be a "real" (i.e., non-expat) parent.

Anonymous said...

Love that picture. Scarlett is so cute in pigtails! Is SpiderMan showing her how to drive the car?

Diane

Anonymous said...

who says you have to leave the expat life??!

: ) k.